Thursday, April 22, 2010

Follow the Programming...and SCALE!

Today was a busy day. Between work and additional duties, I was unable to make it to the afternoon group WOD--that always brings my mood down a couple of notches. Besides, that is one of the primary reasons why I love CrossFit so much--sharing the pain with my brothers and sisters! I looked at the WOD this morning and thought to myself, "I am going to have to do something completely different today." Why did I say that to myself? Well, initially, I was at a loss for how I was going to scale this workout. Because of my recovering shoulder, I thought that the WOD was a 'wash'...not doable for me. Oh how wrong was I!

My shoulder rehab has been going really well; however, the one thing that still scares me are the rings. Ring dips, muscle-ups...actually, anything on the rings really aggravated my shoulder pre-surgery. I am about 13 weeks past my surgery and I am feeling great! So, with that in mind, I decided to scale the WOD. Why? Because, despite the injury, I wholeheartedly believe that you still must follow the programming...and scale where necessary. Immediately after my surgery, it was obvious that I was unable to scale...I couldn't do much of anything. So, if you are dealing with an injury or recovering from one, please do not get it in your mind that you NEED to do the WOD as Rx'd, or even close to Rx'd. Just follow the programming to the best of your ability in relation to your current physical limitation. Whether it is a 'three on and one off' schedule, a 'five on and two off' schedule, or whatever...continue to follow your workout regimen as best you can.

Check out a short clip of me scaling the WOD. I promise...I ran the 50m in between; it was pretty difficult to record the video by myself.


1 comment:

  1. Good Work Brian! Always staying true to yourself! That's being a role model

    ReplyDelete

Mobility WOD