Monday, September 13, 2010

A Bittersweet Departure


For the last two and a half years, it had always been me (with the help of some of my other CrossFitters) that had programmed the going-away WODs. I have seen many CrossFitters (and great friends) come and go. One of our traditions has always been to program an "extra-special" workout for our departing CrossFitters. These workouts normally consist of various exercises and movements that play to both the strengths and weaknesses of the individual. Last Saturday, CrossFit Ramstein got together to gut through yet another going-away WOD. But there was something different about this one: the going-away WOD was for me.

It was a bittersweet experience. Bitter, because I will soon be leaving...sweet, because I was doing what I love to do: CrossFit with my friends. My close friend, Chris, was "kind" enough to have programmed the workout--see the picture below to see what "The Bowen-ator" was all about.


This workout was tough. First of all, I hate wall-ball shots with a passion. Just to spite that hate, I made it a goal to do all 50 reps unbroken--success! Of course hang power cleans had to be in there--hate 'em! And at 135lbs?! Thanks Chris! These I did one rep at a time, keeping an even pace throughout. GHD sit-ups = ouch...'nuff said. Yes...handstand push-ups! I got through these pretty quickly--and all 50 double-unders were unbroken. Pull-ups...okay--what would a workout be without 'em? Surprisingly enough, they did not go as quickly as I would have liked. And, of course, the workout had to end with 50 burpees--I just could not move quickly on those...ugh!

A big thanks goes out to everyone who came out and suffered through this "wonderful" going-away WOD. CrossFit Ramstein is my baby; I am going to miss it sorely. However, most all of you know that this is NOT the end of the road for me. Keep your eyes peeled on the CrossFit Affiliate Blog page-- in the fall of 2011, my wife, Kari, PJ, Chris, and I will be doing our "CrossFit Thing" somewhere in either Oregon or Colorado! Yup, we are going to open up our very own box, and you will all be welcome at any time!

2 comments:

  1. Are you guys opening the box after you are out of the Air Force?

    And if we end up in Colorado like we want, Tim and I will definitely show up to share in the love-hate relationship that is CrossFit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we are Tina! We are trying to decide between the Portland, OR area or the Denver, CO area.

    You and Tim are more than welcome to drop in for a WOD or two...wherever we may be! :)

    ReplyDelete

Mobility WOD