Friday, September 10, 2010

Bounding around the Baltics


So, I found myself in Riga, Latvia once again. Since I had the opportunity to do a little exploring during my last visit, I knew just the place to put together a creative "on the fly" WOD. In the opening frame, you will notice a large building in the background - that building is a glorious supermarket! It had all kinds of goodies...and when I say goodies, I mean quality food and great variety. And yes, it did have quite an extensive "sweets" section; however, I was able to refrain. But the dried fruit selection was amazing, so of course, I had to indulge a little bit. 

I always worry about my training when I go on a TDY or on leave. However, this worrisome feeling has been progressively been getting less and less. Why? Because you can ALWAYS find a way to train. Is it the most ideal circumstances all of the time? No. Do you have a barbell with bumpers plates available? Probably not. But, what you DO have is the opportunity to take the "unknown and unknowable" a step further than the WOD. I literally just started running. To steal a quote from the beloved Forrest Gump, "...if ever I was going somewhere, I was running!" So, I made it to the supermarket parking lot, saw the parking ramp, and decided to some sprints. I did 10 sprints, with the rest in between being the time that it took me to walk back down. In between, I also did some light post vaults as well as some barrier vaults. After that, I sprinted around to the back of the building, found a staircase, and knocked out a modified version of "Cindy"--with stair sprints in between each round. There were a couple of construction workers near me that were giving me looks as if I was crazy. I could see it in their eyes...they were thinking: "Those damn crazy Americans"--but hey, we're used to it, aren't we? 

No longer will I worry about a few days (or even longer) away from the negatively effecting my training--because, wherever I go..."The Training Never Stops". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mobility WOD