Friday, September 17, 2010

A Quick Study: CrossFit & The USAF Fitness Test

One of the greatest methods to measure progress is through the use of numbers. As CrossFitters, we are all quite familiar with the following equation:
                       
P =  f  x  d
             t

Power (or horsepower) is what we generate when we move large loads (f), long distances (d), and quickly (t). By collecting regular data points (the WOD) and tracking our progress, we are able to see real results, and a real way to measure our work [fitness] capacity: past, present, and future.

I would like to share with you a quick, personal study with regard to the efficacy of the CrossFit program in relation to the results of my Air Force Fitness Test...dating back from April of 2004.

Before I go into a bit of detail about my progress, check out the chart below - it displays the results of my Air Force Fitness test from April 2004 to the present.  
Click on image to enlarge
You will notice that back in April of 2004, my abdominal circumference was 34 inches, my mile and a half run was 10:36, and my composite score was below 90. That was before CrossFit. It wasn't until after I started the CrossFit program that my fitness capacity increased. Sure, my push-ups and sit-ups remained relatively the same; however, I never really had a problem with them. As you can see, however,  my mile and a half run time has decreased significantly. Did I incorporate any specific training to get my run time down? No. I simply (or not so simply) did CrossFit. 

There was a small drop-off in there--but that was due to the fact that I had rotator cuff surgery and I was unable to workout like I wanted to for quite some time. However, (and surprisingly enough) only three months after my surgery, I was still able to max out the test. And guess what? Shhh...don't tell anyone, but I wasn't supposed to be doing anything remotely close to a fitness test. One week after my surgery, with my arm in a sling, I proceeded to program "one-armed WODs"--this kept my capacity at  pretty decent level. 

Check out my linear progression below: 
Click on image to enlarge
Two words: CrossFit works. This is but one, small study of the proof of the program. As many of you know, our non-profit affiliate, CrossFit Ramstein, has had an extremely difficult time trying to "sell" the program to Air Force leadership. Perhaps if we gave them proof like this (which I know there is more of) they would open their eyes to the benefit and greatness of CrossFit. A parting note: since I started following CrossFit methodology, I have scored nothing less than a 100 on my Air Force Fitness Test.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure what it will take to have everybody realize that crossfit works and that it will work for anybody at any age!! Keep up the blog posts and all your personal evidence. Hopefully the Air Force will listen soon!!!!
    http://www.nevertooldforcrossfit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    Thank you for your post and encouragement! It is great to see yet another link in the ever-present support system of the CrossFit community! You have inspired me to keep my blog posts going more frequently than they have been!

    All the best,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete

Mobility WOD