Sunday, October 3, 2010

CrossFit Total II

Fortunately, after Event #2 at the Fit as Fu*k CrossFit Challenge, I ranked high enough to be able to move on to Event#3: CrossFit Total II

The time limit was nine minutes. The task: to establish a one-rep maximum lift for the clean, the overhead squat, and the bench press. Because the format of this event was released a week prior, I was able to formulate some kind of game plan. What presented the most difficulty for me was converting pounds to kilograms. Hey, I am all about forging elite fitness. But forging elite mathematics? Not quite my bag.

My game plan was the following: complete the clean first, move on to the overhead squat, and then finish with the bench press. I remember JB and I discussing the plan. When it comes to CrossFit workouts, we always have a game plan. However, when we hear, "3...2...1...GO!" our game plan (at least mine) gets thrown out the window. I don't know--it's like a switch. Once the switch is turned on, it is just GO, GO, GO! Of course, that method almost always comes back to bite us...and hard! This time, however, I was able to stick to my game plan--that was until I got to the bench press. 

I remember the judges telling me that I only had time for two good, heavy lifts. Okay. So, my game plan had to change; however, my mind was reeling and I could not get the "pounds to kilos" conversion straight. I just started stacking on weight. As it turned out, I ended up benching 120kg, which I was satisfied with. I failed at 130kg, which is nearly 290lbs. I am okay with that. My best one-rep maximum bench press is 295lbs--that was well over 10 years ago. I do not bench press...I just don't. Perhaps I will start incorporating some heavy bench press into my routine. Every Monday, right? Isn't Monday international bench press day?

Long story short: I cleaned 100kg, which I was not completely satisfied with, I overhead squatted 100kg, which was a personal record, and I benched 120kg. Bottom line: it was good enough to advance me on to Event #4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mobility WOD