Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Love Chocolate Milk. Do You?

As athletes, are we not constantly searching for the next best thing to improve our performance (short of anabolic steroids, of course)? What will make me stronger? What will make me faster? What is the best diet? Do I need to take supplements? What about my recovery...what do I do about post-workout nutrition?

Ah-hah! Post-workout nutrition. We have heard (and probably tried) so many different methods: sweet potatoes, bananas, some "super-shake"---but what about just plain old chocolate milk? What's this you say, chocolate milk?!"

It has actually been proven that consuming chocolate milk, post-workout, replenishes glycogen stores just as effectively as most conventional "sports recovery drinks" that we find in the market today. In addition, chocolate milk provides essential nutrients that other sports drinks do not.

For more information, check out the following links:

My personal, first-hand experience goes like this...

For a time period of four weeks, I drank 8-12 ounces of low-fat chocolate milk within 30 minutes after my workout. It did not matter whether the workout was a met-con or a strength day--I drank the chocolate milk. After a few days, I felt a difference. The difference was the next day's workout: I felt great, absolutely recovered! The DOMS was still present; however, not as severe. But it wasn't the DOMS that I was worried about--it was my WOD performance. And I can honestly say, that consistent, post-workout chocolate milk consumption, had a positive and significant impact on my recovery.

3 comments:

Mobility WOD