Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mind over Matter?


If you do not subscribe to the CrossFit Journal, well, then you should. Today, I watched the CrossFit Journal video, "What It Takes to Be a Leader: Part 1" featuring the Original Firebreather, Greg Amundson. Greg A. is an excellent speaker. His passion for fitness is obvious; however, his passion extends much further than fitness. It transcends into real life issues and challenges.

In the video segment (and I encourage you to subscribe), he explains how he first prepares his mind for whatever obstacles are is in his way. After that, he prepares his body, and then he prepares for the actual task at hand.

Greg's words inspired me to achieve a goal that I've been chasing for the last 10 weeks: The Myrtle Beach Half Marathon. Just recently, I have been plagued with a nagging lower-hamstring pull. It occurred during a 10-mile run about a week ago. I have been scaling back my workouts this week, as well as nursing my hamstring...applying the RICE as needed. I feel good. I will tap into my very own positive self-talk...convincing myself that I will be able to complete the 13.1 miles.

My original goal was to maintain an eight-minute mile for the entire half marathon. Between the positive self-talk and the fact that I will be dealing with a minor injury, my new goal is to just keep running...to never stop. It truly is amazing what the mind can accomplish. For example, take the beginning of each day, and realize how much better it could have been if you just would have envisioned a positive and productive day. Just think about the things that you can influence, and stop trying to change the things that you are concerned with and can do nothing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mobility WOD