Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Is The Training Enough?



Since I made the decision to compete in the CrossFit Games Sectionals, I have been thinking: is the training enough? In other words: has my training regimen been sufficient to get me past the sectionals and on to the regionals? Let me be honest...I don't know. I feel good. I feel like I have been making progress...increasing my capacity. But have I gotten stronger?

It may be a mistake to compare my current conditioning against my state of conditioning prior to the 2009 CrossFit Games. However, is that  not what we do as CrossFitters? Constantly tracking our times, loads lifted...progress. On the flip-side though, my training has evolved slightly from my previous regimen. I have gotten away from linear strength training; whatever comes up on the CrossFit main site (with regard to strength training) is what I do. And trust me, it is not out of laziness that I do not add a strength component to my training. I found, that in the past, the added strength workouts significantly impacted my "main site programming". Perhaps I overdid it...perhaps I just did not program the strength work appropriately. Whatever the case was, I found that I was becoming burnt out--I neglected much need rest and recovery.

Now, I stick to the 3-on-1 off schedule, sometimes even throwing in a 2-on-1 off cycle if my body needs it. I do not have elaborate visions of making it to the 2011 CrossFit Games in California. Sure, the $250,000 would be nice...well, it would be MORE than nice. However, my goal is to make it to the regionals. Anything after that is just the blessing of a wonderful opportunity, a little bit of luck, and a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mobility WOD