Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"Regularly Learn and Play New Sports"--Greg Glassman

The one part of CrossFit that many of us may neglect, myself included, and in the words of Greg Glassman, is to "regularly learn and play new sports". To ensure that I was adhering to CrossFit methodology, I decided to choose a sport to learn: golf.

Okay, so it may have been a bit of a bold move to choose golf as my sport of choice; however, I consider myself a fairly well-rounded athlete, so I figured golf was the appropriate choice. And besides, my house is on a golf course for crying out loud! Lakewood Links to be specific. After a couple of outings on the driving range, I felt that I was ready to hit the links! Now, please understand that I have previously attempted to golf on many occasions. In fact, I have been "golfing" since I was a teenager; however, I never did it often enough to become any good at it.

Take the "accuracy" aspect of CrossFit and multiply that by about 10! That is how fine-tuned you must be to excel at the sport of golf. Needless to say, my accuracy was very few and far between. I decide to play only nine holes today; my score: 53. Multiply that by two and you get 106--nowhere near "par for the course". In a word, my experience was: humbling. However, I did have a handful of "good" shots--these will be the shots that will keep me coming back for more. And that is the lesson learned today: just because we suck at something, doesn't mean we should give up; no, it should drive us to learn from our mistakes, and improve upon them next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mobility WOD